I like words. I've always liked learning new meanings and finding ways to work them into my vocabulary. If you feel the same way, read The English is Coming by Leslie Dunton-Downer.
I'm not a word nerd although there's a special place in my heart for Fraiser and I'm certainly not the most eloquent speaker. If you've ever been in class or meetings with me, I'm a spaz and I'm lucky if I can get a sentence out half the time. So, far be it for me to judge but, God love 'em, there are those people who manage to use the most annoying words and sayings every chance they get. They have radar for the turns-of-phrase that make my ass twitch.
I'd like to suggest that we find replacements for or simply banish the following list:
1. Everything happens for a reason.
2. Word. (yeah, people still say that)
4. Could care less. (it's couldn't care less, for those who can't seem to grasp that toughy.)
6. That's what's up. (is it?)
7. By the by.
9. Can I ask a question? (you're going to anyway.)
10. Let me know. (like at the end of every email...)
I'm sure each of us has their own list of irritating colloquialisms that make us want to stick sporks in our eyes and dig out our brains. Please share.
In the meantime, enjoy one of my favorite quotes from Clueless (aka, the greatest movie of our time):
Paul Rudd: Be seein' you
Brittany Murphy: Yeah, I hope not sporadically!