Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Good Samaritan

We had drinks at a friend's new place last night. The Mister, in his true Rockstar fashion, drank his weight in the King and bourbon.

Now I'm driving 66 at the only time of day when there isn't a traffic jam. Mister tells me he feels like he's about to taste the Chipotle and pigs n' a blanket he had for dinner for the second time. I pulled over...

He's done now and as we're about to pull away, another car pulls over in front of us. Thinking it's a fellow rockstar, my Rockstar starts yelling out the window.

A guy with curly black hair a la Troy Polamalu walks toward the passenger side asking if we needed help. I was skeptical, foot ready to move to the accelerator at a moments notice. Rockstar tells him were fine and Troy wishes us well and goes back to his car. Then, I found myself instantly annoyed that Troy had wasted his kindness on a drunk puking on the side of the highway.

Living in this area makes skeptics of so many who come here. It's hard to hold out hope for these small gestures of humanity to be more of the rule than the exception.

All you can do is find a way to pay it forward.

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has ordained that you shall live. -Marcus Aurelius

No comments:

Post a Comment